10 top tips to help you book apartments in Barcelona

1. Research the city well before you bookResearch and learn about the layout of the city to find out which area suits you best. Barcelona is divided into different districts, with very different characteristics. The old town is central and home of the world famous Las Ramblas. Here streets are narrow and atmospheric, and the area is full of history. But, you will also find the greatest concentration of tourists here, and more ‘tourist traps’ than in any other part of the city.

The Eixample is home to Barcelona’s art nouveau buildings, with broad avenues and a more quiet residential character. Sagrada Familia and Gracia are within the Eixample.

The beach is perfect for a blend of a beach holiday and a city break, and it is easy to access from the city centre, no more than ten minutes by metro. You will find many beach apartments available on our website.

2. Think about transport and how you are going to arrive at your apartmentIf you are going to drive to Barcelona, it is recommendable to book an apartment with a parking space. Street parking is hard to find in Barcelona, but public car parks are available. Our city guide contains for more information on these.

Alternatively if you are planning to come by plane, research the public transport options for reaching your apartment. The public transport in Barcelona is excellent and includes trains, metro, buses and trams. You will find all of our accommodation is close to public transport routes.

3. Learn a little Spanish, or better still some CatalanThough English is quite widely spoken in Barcelona, and by all the staff of Feelathomeinbarcelona, speaking some a local language will help you to make the most of your visit. Catalan is the official language of Catalonia, but Catalans are bilingual in Catalan and Spanish so do not worry.
  4. Prepare well for the weather in BarcelonaBarcelona is well known for its splendid Mediterranean climate. If you are not used to the heat, remember to pack some cool clothes, a hat, plenty of sun cream, and to always drink lots of water to avoid dehydration.

Winters in Barcelona are warm and sunny and rainfall is very low, and snow practically unheard of. All the same it is important to bring appropriate warm clothing if you are visiting in winter.

All of our Barcelona apartments have air conditioning and heating, and provide bedding and towels.

5. Familiarise yourself with the public transport available in BarcelonaPublic transport in Barcelona is excellent and makes a big difference to the quality of life in Barcelona. Compared to cities such as London, New York or Paris, you can get around Barcelona in an instant using the public transport system, which is clean, safe and cheap.

A half hour’s metro journey in Barcelona will take you from one end of town to the other, so a normal journey is about 5 or 10 minutes.

This is worth taking into consideration when you chose an apartment; the centre and the attractions of Barcelona are easily reachable wherever in the city you may stay.

6. Make the best of your self catering apartmentAll of our rental apartments in Barcelona come with a fully equipped kitchen with everything you need to prepare a meal, bar the ingredients! Food markets in Barcelona have an incredible selection of fresh meat, fish vegetables, cured meats and exotic cheeses, all of which are reasonably priced.

One of the beauties of a rental apartment is that if you like to cook or want to economise, you have a kitchen where you can prepare all your meals.

7. Plan your sight seeing activities wellBarcelona has a great deal on offer and it is best to plan your sight seeing well, so you also have time to relax and wander Barcelona’s beautiful streets and immerse yourself in its way of life.
  8. Take advantage of our apartment buildingsIf you are visiting Barcelona in a large group, you do not need to book into a hotel to stay together. We offer a number of buildings where we have many different apartments under the same roof. See our buildings page for more information.
  9. Bring a mobile phoneThere are no phones in rental apartments, so it is a good idea to bring your mobile phone.
  10. Learn about the neighbourhood where you will be stayingDon’t miss the things right on your doorstep in your haste to see al the classic sites. All of Barcelona’s neighbourhoods have their own charm and interesting things to see.
This entry was posted in Barcelona Apartments. Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to 10 top tips to help you book apartments in Barcelona

1. Pingback: I like the sun in Barcelona - Write Traveller | Write Traveller

2. Vancouver says:

Do north american cell phones work in barcelona?

3. Sophia says:

Thank you very much for your tips. If I have a chance to go to Barcelona, now I have a guide. The most improtant thing is still I need to learn some Spanish words :)

4. Brian Kinkade from denver colorado real estate says:

Well written post. Some of these tips are very essential not only to travelers to Barcelona but also to those traveling to other destinations.

5. Margret says:

Hello there.Well done tips.Barcelona is such a nice place.I’m looking forward to go there soon.Thank you for posting this.

6. Thank you for sharing these tips… This will be helpful for me since I have plans of taking vacation in Barcelona next year.

7. olivia34newton says:

Thanks for the tips, this is what I need because my hubby and I have plans of having a second honeymoon.

8. Paul from Spanish Resources says:

Having a mobile phone before you start your search is so important. I spent a lot of money on using phone boxes to call people about apartments, and then they had no way to contact me back.

A good idea is to get a pay as you go phone as soon as you get there.

9. Judy Foret says:

Whenever I think about Barcelona, two things come to my mind: brandy and bullfighting. I expect to see both when I get the chance to visit this place. For now, I’m getting the most out of the pictures and videos I see on the web.

• Josep Ferrer says:

Hi Judy. I am afraid you are too late to see bullfighting, which was banned last year. I am happy to report that brandy still is legitimate – Torres is a popular local brew.

10. It’s so important to look at the neighborhood map before you decide where to stay. Eixample and Gracia are the best neighborhoods for people who want a nice upscale area and some nightlife and cafes.

11. Thank you for sharing these tips!
    Barcelona is a beautiful city, I had the opportunity to live and work there for about 3 years.

12. Josep Ferrer says:

Fell free to contact us directly http://www.feelathomeinbarcelona.com/en/contact-us.php and we will be more than happy to help :-)

13. Gayle from Extended Stay Chesapeake says:

Having these information, traveling would definitely be a great time. Barcelona is such a great place. I would want to visit their again, especially now that I have come across these tips. Thank you for the share.

14. Teyona from Park City Real Estate says:

Barcelona is a beautiful place. The 10 wonderful tips are making every aspiring resident to buy an apartment in Barcelona. Thanks

15. Peter from car hire Ireland says:

Hi Josep, great things to know before booking a apartment in Barcelona. Are these apartments available for rent too and how can one book an apartment for rent.

16. I recommend everyone to travel to Barcelona at least once in their lifetime. Such a beautiful city! My wife and I stay at the Cocoon when were down, by far one of the best vacations we’ve been on.

17. Benjamin Summers from Birmingham Personal Injury Lawyer says:

These tips are big help for preparing me to visit Barcelona. Last year, I’m planning to visit Spain, but didn’t make it because of hectic schedule. Spain is probably on my list after Australia. I also want to visit the city there. I saw the photos on the internet, the landmarks are great. I’m really interested to visit it personally.

18. Blake from Print Catalogs says:

Learning Spanish will be my ultimate problem. But thanks for all those tips. A great help to my ultimate dream of visiting Barcelona.

19. Evaeva says:

These tips are big help for preparing me to visit Barcelona.

20. Kevin Brown from All inclusive honeymoons says:

Good read to learn all the tips you have suggested here. most of them applies to every traveler, no matter where he is Barcelona or anywhere else. I really appreciate them. Some people travel without much prior information about that place which can make your travel tour a bad experience so please avoid doing this. Get as much information as you can about the local transport, locations, places,culture and public transport.

21. Josep Ferrer says:

Its very easy to book an apartment in the centre of Barcelona. But Barcelona is very compact and easy to get around, plus it has many great accommodation options outside of the centre, such as the beach. An apartment in Barcelona is much cheaper than a hotel, and if you are travelling with friends you can split the cost.

22. bep tu nhap khau from bep dien says:

It ‘s useful tip. Well done.Barcelona is such a nice place.I’m looking forward to go there soon. Thanks for sharing.

23. Carid Hirez says:

this are good tips for me .Well done tips.Barcelona is such a nice place.I’m looking forward to go there soon.Thank you for posting this.

24. Larry from lisbon apartments says:

Wow!! These are really impressive and very helpful tips. I hope these tips will be very helpful for all those are searching an apartment in Barcelona first time. I appreciate your knowledge and you your hard work on it.

25. Kristine from wordpress developers says:

I can’t wait to visit Barcelona, my dad is from Madrid but I never really had the chance to explore the other cities of Spain. Great tips!

26. Danielle from Paris Neighborhood Map says:

Barcelona is a great city, if you can finda good neighborhood map you’ll be able to get an idea of the feeling of each neighborhood and be sure you don’t get stuck far from where you want to be!

• Josep Ferrer says:

Don’t worry Danielle, Barcelona is very compact and has excellent public transport, it would be very difficult to be stuck far from where you want to be. A public transport journey of 30 mins in Barcelona is considered very long indeed, so compared to many other cities like London, Paris or New York, getting around is incredibly simple.